Start with a simple vinaigrette base (oil and vinegar or lemon juice), and then add whatever seasoning you like to complement the rest of the meal! With our international soups in mind, we’ve made some suggestions, but please feel free to invent your own (and let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org).
Jar with lid or small bowl
Fork or whisk
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Put all the ingredients in the jar, put the lid on tightly and shake, shake, shake.
OR: Put all the ingredients in the bowl and whisk, whisk, whisk.
Taste the dressing on a small piece of salad. Does it need more of anything? If so, add it and taste again.
To add a little global flavor to your dressing, try adding a bit of seasoning. Make it:
- French: add 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Greek: use fresh lemon juice and add 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Italian: add 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Indian: add 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Latin American: substitute fresh lime juice for lemon and add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Asian: Use rice vinegar, substitute soy sauce for the salt, and add 1/2 teaspoon each sesame oil, minced garlic, and freshly grated ginger.
- Middle Eastern: add 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander, and minced garlic.