1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups onion (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (chopped)
3 cloves cloves garlic (chopped or ¾ teaspoon garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups parsnips (chopped, about 1 pound)
1 cup potato (peeled and cubed)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon margarine (unsalted, or butter)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper; cook for1 minute.
- Stir in the parsnips, potato, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the parsnips and potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the margarine or butter and let the soup sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, using the manufacturer’s directions for pureeing hot liquids.
- Heat the soup before serving, stirring in water if it seems too thick.