Sharp knife (adult needed)
Large mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl
Large spoon or rubber spatula, for stirring
- 8 ounces whole-grain pasta (such as fusilli, rotini, or penne), cooked and cooled
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 small cucumber, scrubbed and diced (if it looks waxy, then peel before dicing)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (or 1 cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted black olives (or Greek or Kalamata olives)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Put the pasta, vegetables, feta, olives, and parsley in the large mixing bowl.
Put the lemon juice or vinegar, olive oil, oregano, and salt in the small mixing bowl and whisk together.
Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture, and stir gently to combine. Taste the salad. Does it need a pinch of salt or a dash more lemon juice, vinegar, or olive oil? If so, add it and taste again. Serve right away.