- 5 medium apples
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed and divided
- ½ cup whole wheat flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ stick (2 ounces) cold, unsalted butter
- 1½ cups quick oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 9-inch square baking dish
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel.
- Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into ⅛-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using. Mix well.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly.
- Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture. Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly.
- Let sit for 15–20 minutes before serving.