1 chicken (whole, skinned and cut into pieces)
8 cups water
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounce)
1/2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
2 cups canned hominy, white or yellow (2 – 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
3 cups iceberg lettuce (shredded)
6 lime wedges
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put chicken pieces in a large pot and cover with the 8 cups of water. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Add the chopped onion, pepper, chili powder, tomato sauce, and oregano to simmering chicken.
- After the chicken is thoroughly cooked take the pieces out of the pot and remove most of the bones from the chicken and the pot.
- Return chicken to the pot.
- Add the rinsed hominy to the pot of chicken and simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce and a wedge of lime.