1 Vidalia onion (divided)
1/2 red bell pepper (sliced vertically)
1/2 green bell pepper (sliced vertically)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices whole-grain bread (4-6 slices, dry or toasted, cubed)
1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian blend cheese
10 cherry tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes)
1 garlic clove
- Pack rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about 1/4 of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
- Spray 8- or 9-inch baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 ºF.
- While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with 8 oz glass of fat-free (skim) milk and 1/2 cup cantaloupe chunks