Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound fish fillets (whitefish, trout, or tilapia)
1 onion, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place about a 12-inch piece of foil on the counter. Coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the fillets in the middle of the foil. If the fillets have skin, place the skin side down.
- Spread the onions, salt, pepper, and oil on top of the fillets. If using lemon pepper seasoning, add that too.
- Fold the foil over the fish to wrap it. Place foil pouch on a baking sheet, and place it in the oven.
- Bake the fish for 15 to 20 minutes until the fish is flaky when tested with a fork.
- Divide into four portions and serve.
Tip for cooking fish: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for fish is 145 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.