- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 small clementines, or 1 cup mandarin oranges, canned in juice
- 3 green onions
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame beans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup feta or farmer’s cheese
- 2 small bowls
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium pot with lid
- Sharp knife
- Small pot
- Cook rice following package instructions. Remove from heat. Let stand covered for 10 minutes. Scoop out into a large bowl to cool. While rice is cooking, prepare rest of salad.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel clementines and tear into segments. Or, if using canned oranges, rinse and drain.
- Rinse and chop green onions.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice from both halves. Discard seeds.
- Slice almonds. On a baking sheet, spread slivered almonds. Bake until golden brown, about 8–10 minutes. Watch closely so they do not burn.
- Fill a small pot with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add edamame. Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add clementines or mandarin oranges, edamame, green onions, almonds, and dried cranberries to bowl with rice. Mix together.
- In a second small bowl, use a fork to whisk together lemon juice, honey, and ground black pepper. While still whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil until a dressing forms.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Mix well. Let salad rest at room temperature for 10 minutes so flavors can combine.
- If using, top with crumbled feta or farmer’s cheese.