12 jumbo pasta shells (about 6 ounces)
1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese, part skim
3/4 cup pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
2 tablespoons basil
1/4 teaspoon sage, dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup spaghetti sauce (low sodium)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and place each on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, pumpkin, spices and all but 1 Tablespoon of the cheese. Reserve the 1 Tablespoon cheese for topping.
- Spread pasta sauce in the bottom of a baking dish that holds all the shells in a single layer. Fill each shell with about 3 Tablespoons of pumpkin mixture and place shells close together on top of the sauce.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Freeze unused pumpkin and add to soup, chili or pancake recipes.
- Learn more about pumpkin.