- 2 medium celery stalks
- ½ large red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) slice smoked, lean, low sodium ham
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½-3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Large pot with lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Rinse and dice celery and bell pepper. Peel, rinse, and dice onion. Peel and mince garlic.
- Dice ham.
- In a colander, rinse and drain black-eyed peas.
- In large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in ham, black-eyed peas, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.