32 ounces lean beef (2 pounds, cubed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (large)
1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup cilantro
1 can stewed tomatoes (15 ounces, low sodium)
2 ounces tomato paste
1 can hominy (1 lb. 13 ounce can)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Brown beef cubes.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat.
- Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add hominy and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Skinless, boneless chicken breasts may be used instead of beef cubes.