8-inch square baking pan (glass preferred but metal ok)
Large mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup or honey
Turn the oven on and set the heat to 400 degrees. Lightly grease the baking pan with 1 teaspoon oil.
Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in the large mixing bowl and mix well.
Put the eggs, buttermilk, remaining 1/4 cup oil, and maple syrup in the small bowl and mix well. Be sure the eggs are completely mixed.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Do not over-mix.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Once the oven temperature has reached 400 degrees, put the pan in the oven.
Bake until the top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Dice it up and toast it for salad croutons.