- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3/4 cup shredded)
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Large pot
- Large skillet with lid
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Sharp knife
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Cheese grater
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a colander, drain macaroni and rinse with cool water.
- While macaroni is cooking, rinse and dice bell pepper. Peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Set aside.
- Grate cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic, crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Using a colander, drain off fat.
- Return to the skillet and stir in drained macaroni, tomatoes with juices, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Plenty of vegetables could be added to this dish—let your imagination soar! Try fresh or frozen peas, peppers, spinach or other dark leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or summer squash.