1 pound ziti pasta (or bow tie pasta)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
3 tomatoes (large, coarsely chopped)
1 cup kidney beans (cooked or canned drained, or try garbanzo beans or black beans)
1 mozzarella cheese (1 cup, or provolone cheese, cubed or shredded, optional)
1 walnuts (1/2 cup chopped, optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, vinegar, Dijon-style mustard and pepper to make vinaigrette.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, beans, basil and tomatoes. Pour vinaigrette over top and toss together. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- If desired, add nuts and cheese just before serving, tossing again to combine.
- Optional ingredients, walnuts and mozzarella, are not included in nutrition analysis and cost estimate.
- Add other fresh chopped vegetables such as cucumbers, peppers, small summer squash, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower.
- Use your favorite salad dressing instead of making your own.
- Use cooked rice or cooked, cut up potatoes in place of pasta.
Learn more about: