- 2 medium lemons
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 3 green onions
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper or paprika.
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Sharp knife
- Rinse and cut lemons in half. In a medium bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- Add bulgur and boiling water to lemon juice. Cover and let rest until bulgur is soft and chewy, about 30 minutes.
- Rinse parsley, green onions, tomato, and cucumber. If using mint leaves, rinse now.
- Chop parsley. If using mint leaves, chop now.
- Trim ends off green onions. Thinly slice, using white and green parts.
- Remove core from tomato. Dice.
- Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and discard. Dice cucumber.
- If using feta, dice now.
- In a colander, drain excess liquid from bulgur mixture. Return bulgur to bowl.
- Add parsley, green onions, tomato, cucumber, and remaining ingredients to bowl. Mix well to combine.
- If using feta and mint leaves, add now. Mix gently before serving.