We love to make something special for a holiday breakfast, especially if we’ve got guests. But if you’re not feeding a crowd, you can halve this recipe and bake it in an 8-inch square baking pan.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
9 x 13-inch baking pan
Fork or whisk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 scallions, roots trimmed off, green and white parts chopped
- 1/2 cup cup grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese (or ½ cup crumbled feta cheese)
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed over the sink (to remove some of the liquid)
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted, torn or cut into bit-sized pieces
Turn the oven on and set the heat to 350 degrees. Grease the baking pan with the oil and then put it in the oven to heat at the same time.
Crack the eggs into the bowl and mix well with the fork or whisk. Add the salt, scallions, cheese, spinach, and bread and mix well.
Once the oven temperature has reached 350 degrees, ask an adult to carefully remove the baking pan from the oven
Carefully pour the egg mixture into the hot pan.
Using pot holders, return the pan to the oven.Bake until the eggs are set and the top is just golden, 20 to 30 minutes
Serve right away, or let cool, cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Stir ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves into the egg mixture.
- Add dollops of ricotta cheese to the top before baking.
- Replace the bread with 1 large potato, cooked and chopped (2½ to 3 cups).