1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
4 large eggs
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 cup shredded low-sodium mozzarella or cheddar cheese
4 cups bread (stale or dried)
3 cups chopped raw kale
2 cups frozen butternut squash
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking pan.
- Put a skillet over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook about 10 minutes, until tender.
- While the onion is cooking, put eggs and milk in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the cheese, bread, kale, squash and salt and mix well. Let the mixture stand at least 15 minutes until the bread absorbs most of the milk.
- When the onion has finished cooking, add it to the bread mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes until lightly browned and set. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
It is important to use stale bread that has dried out. If you don’t have stale bread, put fresh bread in a preheated 250°F oven and bake until dried, usually about 15 minutes.