1 2/3 cups frozen hash browns, country style (about 12 ounces, thawed)
1/2 cup green pepper (finely chopped, divided)
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped, divided)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can evaporated milk, nonfat (12 ounces)
6 egg whites from large eggs (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup cheese, reduced-fat sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup cheese, reduced fat Monterey Jack, shredded
1 cup spinach (washed and chopped, fresh)
1/2 cup tomatoes (chopped, fresh)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash your hands and work area.
- In large bowl, combine hash browns, green pepper, 1/4 cup onion, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spray a 8×8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Press potato mixture into bottom.
- Bake until lightly browned around edges, 20-25 minutes.
- In large bowl, stir together evaporated milk, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cheeses, spinach, remaining 1/4 cup onion, and tomatoes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Pour mixture over potato crust. Bake uncovered until center is set, 40-45 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces. Serve hot. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Learn more about: