3/4 stick of light butter
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
16 slices 100% whole-wheat bread, cubed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped apple
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 egg (beaten)
2 egg whites (beaten)
1 cup water
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and parsley to pan. Stir often until veggies are tender.
- Combine bread cubes, cranberries, and apple in a large bowl. Pour veggies over bread cubes and mix gently.
- Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour in broth (just enough to moisten) and gently mix in eggs.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cover.
- Set slow cooker to High for 45 minutes; then reduce heat to Low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.