1 pound ground beef, 85% lean (coarsely ground, if available)
1 tablespoon salad oil
1 cup matzo meal
1 1/2 cups semolina
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
6 cloves garlic, chopped (use 6-7 cloves)
10 scallions, chopped
6 cups Swiss Chard (2 bunches)
lemon juice (optional)
- Fry ground beef in a small amount of oil.
- Prepare the dough by mixing matzo meal, semolina, water, and salt.
- Wet hands and shape into walnut-sized pieces.
- Roll out dough into a small circle and fill with 1 Tablespoon of meat.
- Seal the dough. Continue until all the dough and meat is used.
- In a large pot, heat a small amount of oil and fry garlic until golden.
- Add the scallions and Swiss chard. Mix well.
- Cook about 10 minutes.
- Cover with water and continue to cook until boiling.
- Add lemon juice, to taste (optional).
- Add stuffed dough to soup and cook 15 more minutes.
Kibbeh Khamoustah is a Kurdish dish. Kibbeh, or dumplings, are stuffed with meat, traditionally lamb or beef, and served with soup.
Learn more about: