With its mix of colors, flavors, and textures—chewy grains, crunchy corn, and juicy tomatoes—this salad has it all. It’s also sturdy enough to pack up for an outing. Use 2 tomatoes if tomatoes are your favorite or just 1 if corn is your favorite
Sharp knife (adult needed)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled barley or brown rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 1 or 2 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 scallions, roots trimmed off, green and white parts chopped, or 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro leaves (or more, if you like)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (if you like spicy)
Put the cooked barley or rice, corn kernels, tomatoes, scallions or red onion, and basil or cilantro in the bowl and mix well.
Drizzle the olive oil and lemon or lime juice on the mixture and mix well. Sprinkle on the salt and crushed red pepper (if using) and mix again. Taste the salad. Does it need more lemon or lime juice or another pinch of salt? If it does, add it and taste again.
Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.