2 cups flour*
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
4 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine) (1/4 cup)
1 egg (or 2 egg whites) (medium)
1 cup chopped cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 powdered sugar (1/3 cup, optional, for glaze)
1 water (1 teaspoon, optional, for glaze)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
2. Grate orange peeling, then squeeze juice from orange. Add additional orange juice to make 3/4 cup.
3. In a separate bowl, blend orange juice, butter, egg, and grated orange peel; add to flour mixture, stirring until just blended. Mix in cranberries and walnuts.
5. Pour batter into a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, greased on bottom only.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove and cool completely on wire rack.
7. Optional: to make glaze, mix powdered sugar and water; add water as needed to make thin glaze. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
*You can substitute 1/2 to 1 cup of the flour with whole wheat flour.
All-purpose flour used for nutrition analysis and costing purposes.
Learn more about: