This chopped salad is all about the crunch—and it’s a great way to test your knife skills! Feel free to add shredded cheese, fresh herbs, and any other fresh vegetables you like, such as diced avocado, sliced scallions, and shredded carrots. Kids Advisory Board member Hannah recommends adding sliced almonds and dried cranberries too.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Tongs or salad servers
- 1 small English cucumber, diced, or 1 regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cubed
- 1 cup green beans, stem ends snapped off, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and toss well. Taste the salad. Does it need more vinegar, salt, or black pepper? If so, add it and taste again.
Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Unseasoned rice vinegar is a seasoning made from— you guessed it!—rice. We love it because it’s actually mild enough to use as a dressing on its own, without any oil added. And if you don’t have any rice vinegar, you can use lime juice instead.