This oatmeal puts all the spicy-sweet flavors of carrot cake right into your breakfast bowl! We love the chewy texture of steel-cut oats, but if you prefer regular oatmeal, simply add all the ingredients at once and follow the directions on the oatmeal container.
Box grater (adult needed)
Medium pot with lid
- 2/3 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground ginger (if you like)
- pinch ground nutmeg (if you like)
- 1 cup finely grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
- Maple syrup, for serving
Put the oats, water, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and other spices, if using, in the pot and put the pot on the stove. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the carrots and continue cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the oatmeal is tender, about 15 minutes longer. Serve right away, drizzled with maple syrup.
- Make it creamy: Use milk instead of water.
- Make it nutty: Garnish with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.
- Make it coconutty: Use 1 cup coconut milk and 11⁄2 cups water instead of 21⁄2 cups
- water, and garnish with 2 tablespoons shredded coconut.
- Make it fruity: Garnish with 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried fruit: raisins, dried cranberries, currants, or chopped apricots, dates, or prunes.
- Make it lemony: Add the grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon at the end.