1 Vidalia onion (thinly sliced vertically)
2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
1 pound cremini mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1. Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. (Do not use non-stick skillet.)
2. Add Vidalia onions and stir to coat with the oil. Stirring occasionally, let cook until brown (about 30 minutes).
3. Remove Vidalia onions from pan, and set aside.
4. Wipe pan clean. Heat remaining olive oil in pan and brown mushrooms (about 15 minutes).
5. While mushrooms and Vidalia onions are browning, cook risotto as follows.
6. Heat wine and rice in pot, stir until wine is absorbed.
7. Mix broth and water together.
8. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup of water-broth mixture.
9. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
10. Continue stirring and add remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another.
11. Add peas to rice with last cup of liquid.
12. Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 1 hour.
13. Gently stir in caramelized Vidalia onions, mushrooms, and cheese. Let sit about five minutes and serve.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with non-fat milk and fruit.