- 3 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large pot with lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Rinse, peel, and dice carrots and onions. Peel and mince garlic. Rinse and chop spinach.
- In a colander, rinse barley with cold water.
- In a large pot, add oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper to pot. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add barley, water, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a colander, rinse lentils with cold water. Add lentils to pot, along with tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach to soup and stir. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and stir. If using Parmesan cheese, add now.