Have you ever tried broccoli slaw? If you think you don’t like broccoli, this slaw might surprise you since it’s made with the broccoli stems, which are sweet and crunchy; look for it in the produce aisle, near the bagged coleslaw mix. This salad makes a great side dish for a picnic or cookout.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
- 1 12-ounce) bag broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup shredded or diced cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 1/4 cup dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, or chopped dates or apricots
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (any kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts (any kind), chopped
Put all the ingredients in the bowl except the nuts and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Add the nuts and mix well. Taste the salad. Does it need more lemon juice, pepper, or a pinch of salt? If it does, add it and taste again. Serve right away.
If you love broccoli as much as we do, try adding some florets to your slaw as shown.