- 1½ pounds seasonal vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, turnips, or bell peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 12 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, thyme, or oregano
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, thyme, or basil leaves
- 9-by-13-inch baking dish
- Box grater
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
- Food thermometer
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and cut seasonal veggies evenly into small pieces. Peel, rinse, and dice onions. If using, slice mushrooms and rinse and chop fresh herbs.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add seasonal veggies to boiling water. Briefly boil, about 30 seconds. Using a colander, drain the veggies.
- In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs. Set aside.
- Coat medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. If using mushrooms, add now. Add boiled seasonal veggies. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
- Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. A thermometer inserted in the middle should read 160°F.
- If using, garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
- Cut into 8 equal-size portions.