Jazz up regular pancakes with apples and cinnamon.
1 apple (Granny Smith)
1 1/4 cups pancake mix (any type)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup milk, low-fat
- Lightly coat a griddle or skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apple into rings.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for pancake batter. Stir until ingredients are evenly moist. (Small lumps are ok! Over-mixing makes pancakes tough.)
- For each pancake, place apple ring on griddle and pour about 1/4 cup batter over apple ring, starting in the center and covering the apple.
- Cook until bubbles appear. Turn and cook other side until lightly brown.
To test the griddle to see if it is hot, sprinkle it with a few drops of water. When the drops sizzle and dance, you are ready to cook! The easiest way to pour the batter onto the hot griddle is to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each pancake. If the first pancake is too brown, lower the heat.
Learn more about apples.