1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup nonfat (skim) milk (or 1% milk)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped fruit (try a mixture – apples, bananas, raisins, berries, peaches)
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (try walnuts or almonds)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine cooked rice, milk and cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds. Stir and heat for another 45 to 60 seconds, or until rice mixture is heated through.
- Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with fruit and nuts. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use any combination of fresh, canned, frozen and dried fruit in this recipe.
- You can use any leftover cooked grain in this recipe. Try white or wild rice, quinoa, barley or oatmeal.
- Skim milk, apples, and walnuts were used for nutrition and cost analysis.
- Learn more about fruits and what’s in season now.