Catfish fillets are coated in a spicy cornmeal rub and pan-fried until browned to perfection. Try substituting with cod or tilapia for delicious variety.
For the spice rub:
- 1/8 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 4-ounce catfish filets
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon or lime (quartered)
- Make the spice rub. Put the cornmeal, oregano, cayenne pepper, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper on a plate and combine well.
- Dredge both sides of the catfish in the spice mixture.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high.
- When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the fish and cook about 4 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked throughout.
- Serve right away garnished with lemon or lime wedges.
Use cod or tilapia instead of catfish.