16 ounces chicken breast, ground
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound cheese, part-skim mozzarella, grated
1/2 onion (small, finely diced)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 green pepper (medium, seeded and minced)
1 tomato (small, finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups masa harina (corn flour, instant)
6 cups water
1. In a non-stick skillet over low heat, sauté chicken in oil until chicken turns white. Constantly stir the chicken to keep it from sticking.
2. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook until chicken mixture is cooked through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in the refrigerator.
3. While the chicken mixture is cooling, place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make a stiff tortilla-like dough.
4. When the chicken mixture has cooled, mix in the cheese.
5. Divide the dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll the dough into balls and flatten each ball into a 1/2 ich thick circle. Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture in the middle of each circle of dough and bring the edges to the center. Flatten the ball of dough again until it is 1/2 inch thick.
6. In a very hot, iron skillet, cook the pupusas on each side until golden brown.
7. Serve hot.