1 half pork shoulder (bone-in)
1 1/2 cups cider or white vinegar (or a combination of both)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 100% whole wheat dinner rolls or slider buns
1. Put everything in the slow cooker and turn the heat to medium. Cook, undisturbed, for 8 hours or until it is fork-tender (about 190 degrees with a meat thermometer).
2. Remove the pork from the slow cooker but keep the liquid. While still hot, use two forks to shred the meat. Remove any fat found between the shreds.
3. Skim as much fat as possible from the liquid in the slow cooker. Add about 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the shredded pork.
Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw:
4. Put the shredded cabbage and carrots in a bowl.
5. Mix the canola oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir or whisk well.
6. Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and coat thoroughly.
7. Add 1/2 cup of pulled pork to each roll or bun and top with 1/2 cup cabbage and carrot slaw. Serve right away.
- 1 bag coleslaw mix can be used instead of red cabbage.
- Leftovers can be served with brown rice or wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.