1/2 pound white button mushrooms
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
1/4 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 can 8oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole-wheat buns
- Chop mushrooms to approximate size and texture of cooked ground beef.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and mushrooms, and cook.
- Sauté until ground beef is done.
- Remove mushroom-beef mixture from pan.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden.
- Return mushroom-beef mixture to pan, along with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer about 10 minutes; remove from heat.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a glass of non-fat milk and a slice of watermelon.