This salad is inspired by some of our favorite Mexican flavor combinations: avocado and lime, corn and tomato. Even though we call this a chicken salad, you can actually skip the chicken and substitute a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) to make a very delicious — and very different — salad.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
2 forks, for shredding chicken
Spoon, for mixing
- 2 cups leftover diced or shredded chicken (2–3 pieces, depending on the size) *
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, either frozen and thawed or cut from a leftover boiled, steamed, or grilled cob
- 2 scallions, greens and whites, chopped or 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 juicy lime)
- Salt and black pepper
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix gently.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Add any or all of the following:
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese or grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin