- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 1 (15½-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red pepper, or 3 roasted red peppers from a jar
- Pinch ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Peel and chop garlic. If using fresh red pepper, rinse, remove core and seeds, and mince now. Or, mince jarred roasted peppers.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, beans, and remaining ingredients to blender. If using optional spices, add now. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
- If using, top hummus with minced red pepper.