1/4 pound beef round roast, thawed and chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups water
2 cups winter squash, chopped (or 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped)
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup macaroni, dry
1 large tomato, chopped (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes)
1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, brown beef in oil over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add water, squash, onion, celery, garlic, and oregano. If using parsley, add that too. Mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni, tomatoes, green pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Keep cooking over low heat for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking beef roast: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for beef roast is 145 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.