Of course you could simply make a salad, but this is more fun, and the kabobs make delightfully unusual after-school snacks or perfectly cheerful summer appetizers. If you like bell peppers, feel free to add those too!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Zester or grater
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 8-ounce block feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cucumber, quartered lengthwise and cut into cubes
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted black or green olives
Put the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, mint, and garlic in the bowl and mix well. Add the feta and gently stir. Leave it to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
Thread the marinated feta, cucumber, tomatoes, and olives onto the skewers, alternating and arranging them however you like. (Tip: Push the skewers slowly and gently through the cheese cubes so that they won’t be inclined to crumble.) Serve right away.
“Pitted” means with the pits removed.