As fall drinks go, apple cider may be the one that most says “fall.” It’s great plain, and super-easy to dress up into a fun punch for your family and friends, as we do here, just by adding fruit, a touch of spice, and seltzer water. The orange adds a lovely flavor so be sure to use it, but don’t worry too much about the other fruit. If you only have apples or only have pears, no problem! Use what you’ve got. BY ADAM RIED
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Spoon, for stirring
- 1 orange, scrubbed, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 pear, scrubbed, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1 apple, scrubbed, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- pinch kosher salt
- 3 cups apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold seltzer water
- ice cubes
Put the fruit, cinnamon sticks, and salt into the pitcher.
Add the cider and vanilla extract and stir well. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Slowly add the seltzer and stir gently (be careful because it can foam up).
Pour into the serving glasses along with some of the fruit, leaving behind the cinnamon stick pieces. Add ice cubes, if using, and serve right away.