This is our version of the classic picnic salad. We like it because we usually have canned beans in the pantry, which get us two-thirds of the way there! And our little secret? If we don’t have any fresh beans, we sometimes add an extra can and serve the salad over greens.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Colander or sieve
Spoon, for stirring
- 1 can (or 1 1⁄2 cups) dark red kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 can (or 1 1⁄2 cups) white beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed in cold water
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and snapped into bite-size pieces
- 3 scallions, roots trimmed off, white and green parts chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 1⁄2 small bunch)
- 1⁄3 cup Garlicky Mustard Vinaigrette
Put the beans, scallions, and parsley in the bowl and toss to combine.
Pour the vinaigrette over the beans. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, to let the flavors meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Click here for Garlicky Mustard Vinaigrette recipe.