Enjoy this side dish for a Thanksgiving treat or anytime yams are in season.
1 1/2 cups yams
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon flour (sifted)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1/4 teaspoon orange peel
1 teaspoon margarine, unsalted
1/2 cup orange juice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.