1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
4 tablespoons butter, melted (1/4 cup)
2/3 cup buttermilk
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add raisins and mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and buttermilk. Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture; mix gently.
- Spoon dough into 9 equal mounds on a greased baking sheet. Bake until well browned, 18-20 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Best eaten the same day you bake them.
- Substitute vegetable oil for the butter to reduce saturated fat.
- Try other dried fruit.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon before baking.
- Try mixing in 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest (grate the outer colored part of the peel).
- No buttermilk? Place 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Stir and let set to thicken slightly.
- Whole-wheat flour can be replaced with all-purpose flour.