1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 yellow onions (peeled and chopped)
1 bell pepper (cored, seeded, and chopped)
2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cans 15.5 ounce assorted low-sodium beans, including black, kidney, white, and chickpeas (drained and rinsed with cold water)
2 cans 14.5 ounce low-sodium diced tomatoes (including the liquid)
1 1/2 cups water
- Put the pot over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos, oregano, thyme and chili powder and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the drained beans, tomatoes and 1 ½ cups water and raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and let cook, partially covered, for 1 ½ hours. If the mixture gets too thick, add the remaining ½ cup water.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a container once cooled. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or low-fat plain yogurt.
Serve the Bronco Beans with brown rice and apple slices. Use leftovers in a quesadilla or omelet.