1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
1 large egg
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 scallions (green and white minced about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leaves or a combination)
1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 whole-wheat buns
- Add beans to a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Add the egg and mix well.
- Add precooked rice, scallions, garlic and oregano, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a patty about ¾ to 1 inch thick.
- Place a large skillet on the stove on high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil. Add burgers and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned on both sides and heated throughout. Place on a whole wheat bun.
– Use old-fashioned rolled oats, leftover cooked barley or Panko breadcrumbs instead of prepared rice.
– Serve with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, low-fat cheese, or low-fat yogurt.