10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (or white bread or buns, dry)
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (chopped)
1 teaspoon parsley, dried (or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 apples (optional – medium, pared, cored and chopped, or 1/4 cup raisins)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put water in medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Pour over bread cubes.
- Stir in milk and egg. Gently stir in apples, and raisins, if desired.
- Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.