1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 package cake mix, dark chocolate
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup squash (shredded or finely chopped)
1/4 chopped walnuts (1/4 cup, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10″ tube or bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and cinnamon.
3. Add eggs, water, and oil. Blend until combined, then beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed.
4. Fold in squash. Add nuts if you like.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Use a greased 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- To lighten cake, try 6 egg whites in place of whole egg.
- Replace 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup applesauce.
Learn more about summer squash.