Cinnamon, nutmeg, and toasted walnuts make this loaf cake taste as great as it smells.
1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour (all purpose)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
1 cup raisins
- Wash hands well with soap and warm water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (8x4x2 inch) loaf pans.
- Toast walnuts in an ungreased skillet pan. Stir while heating on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes. They are done when they are brown and smell nutty. Set aside to cool.
- Mix applesauce, egg, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a smaller bowl.
- Pour flour mixture into applesauce mixture.
- Stir in raisins and cooled toasted nuts.
- Pour half of the batter into each greased pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the oven. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to finish cooling. For best taste, let cakes cool a few hours before serving.