- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 (15½-ounce) can red or white kidney beans, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lime
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Rinse and peel onion and carrots. Peel garlic.
- Rinse bell pepper. Remove core and seeds.
- Dice onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- If using lime, rinse now. Cut into wedges.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey and brown.
- Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook until onions are soft and carrots are somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, and cumin to pot. Season with salt.
- Lower heat to medium. Cook until all flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- If using lime and yogurt, squeeze juice from lime wedges on top of chili or serve on the side. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon yogurt.