- 1 large or 2 small stalks celery
- 1 large tomato
- ½ medium lemon
- 2 (5- or 6-ounce) cans light tuna, packed in water, no salt added
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill or tarragon
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Box grater
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large skillet with lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Rinse and dice celery. Rinse, core, and cut tomato into 4 thick slices.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- In a colander, drain tuna.
- Grate cheese.
- In a medium bowl, add tuna. Flake apart with a fork. Add celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and black pepper. Mix with fork until combined. If using dried herbs and hot sauce, stir in now.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 slices bread. Cook until toasted on bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with other 2 slices. Remove pan from heat.
- On the toasted side of each bread slice, add ½ cup tuna salad. Top with tomato slice and sprinkle with cheese (about 2 Tablespoons each).
- Return skillet to medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in skillet. Cover and cook until cheese is melted and underside is browned, about 3–5 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with other 2 sandwiches.