1 cup pasta, small whole grain (shell, penne, or ziti)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil (or canola oil)
1 can diced tomatoes, unsalted (14.5 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup mozzarella, part-skim shredded
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. In a small saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add pasta to sauce.
5. Transfer to a greased 1-quart baking dish. Top with cheeses.
6. Bake, uncovered at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.